Rachmaninoff's earliest work on this piano concerto dates back to about 1914. When he left Russia in 1917, he took extensive sketches and drafts with him, but the work was not finished until 1926. After its publication in 1928, he performed extensive revision that he finally finished in 1941.
This edition, edited in 2003, makes numerous corrections to the typsetting of previous printings of this concerto. It has both the solo and orchestral reduction parts on one system; two copies are needed for performance.